Michigan State University has partnered with the Science Gallery Network to bring an award-winning international model for igniting a passion for art and science in young adults to the United States.
Science Gallery Lab Detroit opens at 1001 Woodward Ave. on June 16, 2018 with its inaugural exhibition – HUSTLE. Free and open to the public, HUSTLE runs until August 25, 2018. Pieces explore the many different definitions of survival and success and range from living art experiments to virtual reality. For more information about exhibits, check out MSU Today.
Part art gallery, part science lab, part theater, Science Gallery was founded on the belief that young people hold the creative potential to tackle the world’s greatest challenges. With locations in Dublin (Trinity College); London (King’s College London); Melbourne (University of Melbourne); Bengaluru (Indian Institute of Science, National Centre for Biological Science and Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology); and Venice: (Ca’ Foscari University of Venice), Science Gallery Lab Detroit will be the first location in the United States.
Founding partner MSU Federal Credit Union granted Science Gallery Lab Detroit $1 million over the course of the next five years. “Science Gallery is a remarkable informal learning and public engagement platform, and therefore, it is one of the key initiatives for transforming MSU as a learning institution and reimagining what it means to be a globally engaged university,” said Jeff Grabill, Associate Provost for Teaching, Learning, and Technology and director of the Hub for Innovation in Learning and Technology.
What makes the Science Gallery model unique?
- A Network of Universities – Science Gallery is the world’s first university-linked network dedicated to public engagement with science and art.
- An ever-changing program of exhibitions, events and experiences – Every exhibition is a vastly different experience, so people keep coming back to see what’s new.
- An open call process – Science Gallery crowdsources programs from artists, scientists, engineers, and technologists from all over the world.
- A focus on young adults – The primary Science Gallery audience is aged between 15 and 25 years old – young adults who are making key career and course decisions.
- A porous membrane between the university and the city – Science Gallery brings university research groups, staff and students into dialogue with the arts and creative community and the public.
- Mediators – Science Gallery is a space for conversation. Mediators actively engage with visitors to the gallery and encourage people to think deeply about the themes of the exhibition.
- A unique approach to innovation and public engagement – The Science Gallery approach is a proven model for enriching ideas from art, science, design and engineering with feedback through public engagement.
- A focus on the future – Programs have a unique focus on the future, featuring emerging ideas from artists, scientists and everyone in between.
Entry is currently free in all existing galleries, and exhibitions are open beyond normal working hours in an effort to be accessible to more audiences.
About HUSTLE, Science Gallery Lab Detroit’s inaugural exhibition:
Location: 1001 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48826
The gallery is located on the ground floor of the building, conveniently downtown and across from Campus Martius.
Dates: HUSTLE will be on display June 16 – August 25, 2018
Times: The gallery is open from 1:00 – 9:00 p.m. Tuesday – Sunday. It is closed on Monday.
Learn more here: http://detroit.sciencegallery.com/hustle